[FFmpeg-user] minterpolate problem

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Fri Jan 29 11:39:54 EET 2021

On 01/29/2021 04:23 AM, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 14:16:16 +0000, Phil Rhodes via ffmpeg-user wrote:
>>   > I didn't know I could get help on individual filters.
>> To be completely fair, that is actually in the docs, but it's not exactly on the front page.
>
> Good point.
>
> It is at the very top of the output of "ffmpeg -h" though:
>
> Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
> usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]... {[outfile options] outfile}...
>
> Getting help:
>      -h      -- print basic options
>      -h long -- print more options
>      -h full -- print all options (including all format and codec specific options, very long)
>      -h type=name -- print all options for the named decoder/encoder/demuxer/muxer/filter/bsf/protocol
>      See man ffmpeg for detailed description of the options.
>

> Or you just do "ffmpeg -h full" and go on a long search for an option.
> :-)
>
> Moritz

"-h type=name -- print all options for the named decoder/encoder/demuxer/muxer/filter/bsf/protocol".

Try 'ffmpeg -h type=filter.

It fails. Why? Because "filter" is a "type", not a "name" -- never mind that the details says "...
named decoder/encoder ..."

"type" & "name" are actually tokens. The documentation should be something like this:

Getting help:
      -h      -- print basic options
      -h long -- print more options
      -h full -- print all options (including all format and codec specific options, very long)
and <name> can be the specific name of the <type>.

These are the types of things that trap those utterly stupid, lazy novices.