[FFmpeg-user] Troublemaker in bugtracker

Leo Butler leo.butler81 at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 26 14:20:52 EET 2021

"Mark Filipak (ffmpeg)" <markfilipak at bog.us> writes:

> On 01/25/2021 03:58 PM, Leo Butler via ffmpeg-user wrote:
>> "Sergey \"GrayFace\" Rozhenko via ffmpeg-user" <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org>
>> writes:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I've met a childish person with nickname "cehoyos" that made it his
>>> goal to block a bug report I've filed.
>> Please do not use such derogatory characterizations. You are
>> insulting
>> someone who is giving his time without cost to you. I won't reduce
>> myself to name-calling, but there are many unkind words to describe such
>> behaviour.
>>

>>> At first he tried to make up excuses for doing so, then ran out of
>>> them and just starting setting bug status to "invalid" with no
>>> reasoning.
>>>
>>> Here is the bug in question: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/9074
>> In my experience, several developers of ffmpeg are brusque, but
>> invariable correct. If you find their reply(ies) terse, it is almost
>> certainly because you do not understand something and they have expected
>> you to RTFM.
>> I would characterize your "bug" report as one of those cases. Learn
>> from
>> your experience, drop the grudge, move on and show some respect for
>> these people.
>> Leo
>

> Your comments, Leo, are quite correct.

> However, there is no F*ing Manual.

Two sentences, back to back, with opposite meaning. Hmmm.

> There is only man-style documentation that supplies usage
> reminders to those who are already familiar with ffmpeg and its usage,
> but that doesn't help newcomers.

Hardly. A year or two ago I had never used ffmpeg, but I needed to do some
script-driven transcoding and it was the best option. The wiki pages
were quite helpful and when I needed to tweak things, I discovered the
manual is quite good, if terse.

> I wish the reality was different, and I've volunteered to help with
> documentation, but the developers have rebuffed me and everyone else
> who has similarly volunteered. It's their project and they make its
> policy. Still, I can only dream of what it could be.

<quote>
This Wiki is intended for all kinds of FFmpeg and multimedia related
information. Everyone is welcome to add to, edit and improve it!
</quote>

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki

I don't really wish to be dragged in to some nag-a-thon, which is what
several members of this list seem to like. I replied to OP's original
post with my assessment of the facts, as he appeared to request. What I
said to him applies here, too:

> Learn from your experience, drop the grudge, move on and show some
> respect for these people.

Leo