[FFmpeg-user] Troublemaker in bugtracker

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Tue Jan 26 03:51:19 EET 2021

On 2021-01-25 16:30, Paul B Mahol wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 1:18 AM Phil Rhodes via ffmpeg-user <
> ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
>> … When you have people who
>> are determined to treat others with contempt and hostility as a matter of
>> course, who reject even the most well-meaning offers of help with the most
>> pressing issues, who almost seem to make a science out of deliberate,
>> studied unpleasantness, something strange is going on.
>> More than annoying, it's weird. I've never once in my life encountered
>> anything like this. It's completely unnecessary, completely
>> self-destructive, and appears to gain nothing for anyone.
> Yes, we need to use only corporate code.

Come on, Paul, that is a silly reply. You are saying that the only
alternative to FFmpeg's present situation is to use corporate code
(proprietary licences)? That claim is not logical: there is no reason
why use of a free software licence requires project insiders to be
hostile and destructive to each other, or to their users. And it is
disproved by evidence: there are many free software projects where the
insiders behave more kindly and constructively, my favourite example
being Python.

Taken on its face, your reply seems to show a belief that no better
culture is even possible for the FFmpeg project. That attitude is itself