[FFmpeg-user] Crash in recoding UDP stream when use segment command

MEISA 610878158 at qq.com
Tue Jan 19 06:44:52 EET 2021

When I recoding UDP stream with segment command, the log displays the following message:

Circular buffer overrun. To avoid, increase fifo_size URL option. To survive in such case, use overrun_nonfatal option

The machine configuration:
Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E5620 @2.40GHz 2.39 GHz
16.0G Memory

x64 Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

The command I used is:

ffmpeg -y -i "udp://@225.1.2.2:6002?overrun_nonfatal=1" -t 24:00:00 -qcale:v 2 -alternate_scan 1 -f segment -segment_time 01:00:00 M:\\shoulu\\%04d.mxf"

There is a crash occured when the command tried to "segment" after running about 1 hour.
In addition, after I specify the fifo_size value by fifo_size=50000000, the crash disappeared.

And if I set fifo_size=500000000, the ffmpeg will crash when it starts.
Why does the problem occur? Anyone can explain the function of fifo_size?