[FFmpeg-user] How can I force a 360kHz time base?

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Sat Feb 27 04:55:18 EET 2021

On 2021-02-26 21:28, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
> On 2021-02-26 17:53, Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) wrote:
>
>> … I'm concerned with the internal time base in the filter pipeline that's used to resolve frame
>> ordering, both video and audio.…
>
> That is the timebase which FFmpeg stores as a rational number, and is an attribute of the video
> stream, and can take various values.

Yes, it stores the time base as a rational number -- as an integer, actually. By default, it obtains
it from the decoder (which presumably obtains it from the video transport header).

> As I read the code, it is stored in struct AVFilterLink, and is referred to as `link ->time_base`,
> and has type `AVRational`.
>

>> …Currently, the ffmpeg internal time base appears to be 1kHz.…
>
> Reading the code, and especially the type AVRational for the time_base value in AVFilterLink, points
> away from this claim. The evidence you have presented so far does not prove this claim. The evidence
> could be explained by your specific file input1.mkv having a varying frame rate, rounded to 1ms
> increments.

Yes, AVRational is a value in the code -- I'm taking your word on that. That's not what I'm
'talking' about. What I'm 'talking' about is resolution of frame-to-frame, deltaPTS.