[FFmpeg-user] How can I force a 360kHz time base?

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Sat Feb 27 02:53:46 EET 2021

Let's wipe the screen between us.

What I'm suggesting is that ffmpeg convert to a single, 360000Hz time base for all videos, for all
time. Then, rounding errors would be *zero*. PTSs would be exact.

FFmpeg is superior because, instead of frame numbers, ffmpeg uses PTSs. That decision was very wise.
FFmpeg falls short when frame times or durations must be truncated or rounded to fit into the
millisecond scheme. Well, dump the millisecond scheme.

With a single, uniform, 360000Hz time base, ffmpeg could treat PTS in the same way that other video
apps treat frame numbers, as integers.

Just think about it, eh?

Regards,
Mark.