[FFmpeg-user] Do I really need libaom?

Alexander Dyagilev alervdvcw at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 13:53:37 EET 2021

Hello,

We need to give our users an ability to convert arbitrary video files to
MP4.

Some of these files uses AV1 codec.

I've enabled the use of libdav1d library (which contains decoder only).

Do we really need to include libaom too?

Is it OK (for a generic user purposes) to convert from AV1 to something
else (or maybe it will be just copied without re-encoding) ?

We use FFmpeg to convert in the following simple way:

ffmpeg -i INPUT_FILE OUTPUT_FILE

Example:

ffmpeg -i myfile.mkv myfile.mp4

Why don't we want to include libaom? We would like to not increase the
size of our distributive as much as possible.