[FFmpeg-user] converting raw stills to "raw" video

shawny shawniere at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 01:10:51 EET 2021

In the case of my film, StormBoy, where I know the stills were converted (not
by me) they were Canon Raw format v2 CR2 files and Sony Raw format ARW files
and they were converted to ARRI LogC Wide Colour Gamut EI 800.  As I said
this was done on Adobe After Effects.  I was deliberately vague about the
video format in case someone had success with a different raw or log format
other than the ARRI.  I didn't want to limit the responses.
As for Michael's suggestion of using Darktable to preconvert the stills,
that is indeed a method that works and I have used it in the past.  The
limitations inherent in that path is that you necessarily make some grading
choices in the conversion from Raw stills to PNG and your video is less
flexible in the video grade than would be a log video.  The ideal would be
to do all your grading on the moving image as it is imperative to be able to
do dynamic grading particularly in the case of sunrise or sunset time lapse
shots.
Thanks for your responses so far and please forgive me if my technical speak
is imprecise.  I am a film maker dabbling in FOSS to improve my flexibility.
Cheers

--
Sent from: http://ffmpeg-users.933282.n4.nabble.com/