[FFmpeg-user] Removing a metadata tag from a specfic stream

MediaMouth communque at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 21:04:06 EET 2021

On Feb 7, 2021, at 6:51 AM, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is because it does not allow arbitrary values, just some small set.

Thanks for all the info Paul.  Very revealing.

A couple of side questions:

- I noticed on the https://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames <https://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames> page they distinguish "Description" and "Picture type".  It's "Picture type" that seems to be accessed by ffmpeg's -metadata:s:v:0 comment="Cover (front)".  If that's correct, is there an ffmpeg -metadata key that accesses "Description"? (It's not 'description')

- From this page <https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30377> there's a note "id3 tags are not normally, and should not be used on flacs".  Is the technique we're using here in ffmpeg to control the metadata an id3 tag or a flac tag, and does it matter?

- One of those "arbitrary values" listed at https://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames <https://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames> is "A bright coloured fish".  I tested, and indeed it works as a valid entry.  I know this is more a question for the folks at id3.org <http://id3.org/>, but I do wonder if that's a joke or  a meaning value.  I mean, why not, "A spectacularly unsheared sheep"?