[FFmpeg-user] Out of virtual memory (swap, I assume) = telecine+setpts combination

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Thu Feb 4 23:59:15 EET 2021

On 02/04/2021 04:50 PM, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> Well, perhaps your command queues too much frame and that is bad.

Perhaps?

ffmpeg -i source.mkv -map 0 -filter_complex "telecine, setpts=N*1001/30000/TB" -codec:v libx265
-x265-params crf=20:qcomp=0.60 -codec:a copy -codec:s copy "with both telecine and setpts.mkv"

What does "...perhaps your command queues too much frame" mean?

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 10:34 PM Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) <markfilipak at bog.us>
> wrote:

>> all succeeded when running
>> app running.
>>>
>>> Out of curiosity, have you tried looking at the file with an mkv
>> analyzer like MediaInfo, Elecard's
>>> analyzer* or maybe another one? (Is there metadata towards the end of
>> the file containing junk info?)
>>>
>>> How does it behave if you drop the minterpolate or one of the other
>> filters, output to a null file,
>>> or use a different output codec? (Anything to try isolating the problem.)
>>
>> If rising memory allocation and rising swap commit indicates a memory
>> leak, then the telecine filter
>> has a memory leak.
>>
>> **WRONG**
>>
>> OHMYGOD! The problem isn't telecine. The problem isn't setpts. The problem
>> is telecine + setpts in
>> combination!
>>
>> **CORRECTION**
>> If rising memory allocation and rising swap commit indicates a memory
>> leak, then the combination of
>> telecine and setpts filters provokes a memory leak.
>>
>> My trouble packet is 'telecine+setpts memory leak.zip'. I can't put it in
>> dropbox because dropbox
>> has now added a 100 MB limit in an attempt to force me to pay.
>>
>> 'telecine+setpts memory leak.zip' is 328 MiB.
>>
>> With no way to get 'telecine+setpts memory leak.zip' into the developers'
>> hands, I guess all my
>> efforts will go to naught.

I don't have a dog.
And furthermore, my dog doesn't bite.