[FFmpeg-user] NV12 devices/players compatibility

Alessandro Molon alex.molon at vision247.com
Tue Feb 2 17:16:07 EET 2021

Hi All,

I know this is not strictly related to FFMPEG but please don’t insult me 😊
I normally transcode using ffmpeg with h264_nvenc, that produces a NV12 output, then I convert it in pix_fmt yuv420p before chunking in HLS/DASH
But this conversion, when I do “all in hardware” transcoding in multiple profiles forces me to create quite complex filters. So I’d like to simplify the filters and just use NV12 end to end.

Does anybody know realisticly how many devices/players out there can actually play a NV12 stream?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers
Alex