[FFmpeg-user] "instead of complaining, submit a patch" [was: Re: minterpolate problem]

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Tue Feb 2 02:12:03 EET 2021

 On Monday, 1 February 2021, 23:36:19 GMT, Jim DeLaHunt <list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com> wrote:

 > In many projects, "instead of complaining, submit a patch" is good
> advice. It turns users into contributors. But FFmpeg is not just any> project.

Quite. Knowing what I know, I'd sooner eat catfood than submit changes to ffmpeg.

The way it would usually work, if someone was willing to do some pro bono technical writing, is that it'd be written as a word document, because that's how writers work, revised using the features built into word documents for that exact purpose, and submitted to some sort of content management system.

Of course all of these things are laughably impossible in the case of ffmpeg because er, reasons and stuff. How else would they maintain such wonderful, class-leading documentation?