[FFmpeg-user] Getting m3u8 URL from SVTPlay channels?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 18:55:00 EET 2021

On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:53:16 +0100, Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net> wrote:

>And this is what tools like youtube-dl (or its successor yt-dlp) and
>svtplay-dl do: They know well how to parse these pages, and can extract
>the URL for you (check their "-g" options).

Thanks for the suggestion, but I got this on two tests with yt-dlp:

$ yt-dlp -g --no-warnings https://www.svtplay.se/kanaler/svt1?start=auto
https://svt-vod-4j.akamaized.net/d0/world/20211221/f6148165-8a65-4484-a405-f0e9e255d4bc/cmaf-video-hevc-1920x1080p25-2390/cmaf-video-hevc-1920x1080p25-2390.m3u8

$ yt-dlp -g --no-warnings https://www.svtplay.se/kanaler/svt2?start=auto
https://svt-vod-4j.akamaized.net/d0/world/20211221/f6148165-8a65-4484-a405-f0e9e255d4bc/cmaf-video-hevc-1920x1080p25-2390/cmaf-video-hevc-1920x1080p25-2390.m3u8

NOTE: Same result for both channels!

I received different results when using youtube-dl but still the exact same for
both svt1 and svt2 (note no m3u8 but instead mpd, whatever that is):

$ youtube-dl -g  --no-warnings https://www.svtplay.se/kanaler/svt1?start=auto
https://svt-vod-4j.akamaized.net/d0/world/20211221/f6148165-8a65-4484-a405-f0e9e255d4bc/dash-avc.mpd

$ youtube-dl -g https://www.svtplay.se/kanaler/svt2?start=auto
https://svt-vod-4j.akamaized.net/d0/world/20211221/f6148165-8a65-4484-a405-f0e9e255d4bc/dash-avc.mpd

So even though I used two different URL:s, which when used in a browser starts
*different* channels, the m3u8 URL is *identical* between svt1 and svt2, so
cannot work...

Finally I also tested this as per your suggestion:
$ svtplay-dl -g https://www.svtplay.se/kanaler/svt1?start=auto
ERROR: No videos found. Can't find video info.

So there must be some other way to get at this information.

Current state:
--------------
>From a reply by another person on the VideoHelp forum where I also asked I got
these URL:s for two channels:
https://svt1-d.akamaized.net/se/svt1/master-fmp4.m3u8
https://svt2-d.akamaized.net/se/svt2/master-fmp4.m3u8

And both of these work correctly for SVT1 and SVT2 right now, however they
cannot be extrapolated for the other channels:
- kunskapskanalen
- svtbarn
- svt24
which are the 3 other streaming channels SVT is using.

And when asked *how* he had found the m3u8 URL I got a strange response with a
browser screenshot which matches neither FireFox nor Chrome so I cannot follow
it...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden