[FFmpeg-user] Media Express vs FFmpeg CPU use

Bouke bouke at editb.nl
Thu Apr 29 09:15:15 EEST 2021

> On 28 Apr 2021, at 21:27, Carl Zwanzig <cpz at tuunq.com> wrote:
>
> On 4/28/2021 3:03 AM, Bouke wrote:
>> Trying to capture decklink input to ProRes.
>> FFmpeg is VERY cpu hungry (230 % on my sytem in the example below, increasing when upping the quality of Prores)
>> Media Express / VTEncoderXPCservice use just half the CPU.
>
> My assumption is that the BMD code is simply more optimized for the tasks it's doing, and probably using a licensed encoder. Otherwise, are all the parameters the same between tests?

I ’think’ so, but even when not, what could I do to make FFmpeg less CPU hungry?

> I was looking specifically at pix_fmt (might need to move that earlier in the cmd line). (I'd experiment myself with this but have a production on Saturday and a lot to do before that.)

Tried it, does not make any difference. Strangely, today’s test used 158% where yesterday it was 230%. Machine has not been restarted…

>> (Eventually I want to do multiple streams on a single machine.)
>
> Do you need prores output?

Client request, I would choose MpegII...

> Can you capture into something else and then transcode?

Nah, the whole idea is to be done as fast as possible, so not to transcode…

Thanks!

Bouke