[FFmpeg-user] Combining download of ts stream with geometry modification into mp4?

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Mon Apr 19 09:41:59 EEST 2021

On 4/18/2021 11:20 PM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> Can I combine these two operations into a single ffmpeg command such that there
> is no intermediate ts file created and the mp4 is available essentially when the
> download completes?

You can combine them, but* then the "download" will be extended by the time
needed to re-code the file _and_ you'll lose the ability to retry the
conversion if something goes up the wall. If you can afford the storage, I'd
definitely download and convert in separate steps.

*assuming that the source is producing a ts which is captured as-is

Also,
"from 1280x720 to 640x320 px."  !=  "-vf scale=w=-4:h=$360"
(what does the dollar sign do or is that a typo? complete output is always a
good idea.....)
1280/720=1.77777 while 640/320=2.0, so I assume that should be 360.

Have you looked at the CPU usage for each step?

Later,

z!