[FFmpeg-user] Advice on getting help from ffmpeg-user list

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Mon Apr 12 11:42:25 EEST 2021

On 2021-04-11 23:59, Rohit Prajapati wrote:
> I need help with some issues in the FFmpeg command.
>

> *show error in android *
>

> 2021-04-09 11:25:01.052 31074-31074/com.daasuu.gpuvideoandroid
> E/fsfdsfdfgfdffcszxczxczx: false: ffmpeg version n3.0.1 Copyright (c)
> 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
>
> [… rest of message elided …]

Hello, Rohit Prajapati:

Welcome to the FFmpeg-users email list. This can be a good place to get
your questions on FFmpeg use answered. However, there are some best
practices here. Follow them, and you are more likely to get useful

1. Send your message only once. Don't send the same message repeatedly.
You just sent what looks like the same identical message twice in quick
succession. Once is enough, twice starts to be annoying.

2. Start a new thread for a new topic. Don't hijack an existing thread
by replying to it to start a new topic. You just did this twice in quick
succession. Note that I started a new thread. Don't hijack this thread
either; send your (improved) question to the list as a fresh topic.

3. Use the current version of ffmpeg to reproduce your problem. Your
output says, "ffmpeg version n3.0.1", but the current numbered version
is 4.4.  Your output says,  "2000-2016", but the current version is
dated 2021. If at all possible, take a build of the current day's
sources and reproduce with that.  You may find that your problem is
solved by changes in the last 5 years of development.

4. Reproduce your problem by running FFmpeg from the command on macOS,
Linux, or Windows.  Your output is not from a command line on one of
those systems; the syntax 'String cmd21[]={"-y","-i" ,inputFile1, "-i",
inputFile2, "-filter_complex",' etc makes it look like you are calling
from within a programming environment. It may be that your use of the
programming environment is causing the problem. Eliminate that
possibility by demonstrating your problem using a shell invocation of
FFmpeg from one of the three main OSs.

5. Include the full command line, and the full, uncut command line
output with your message.

6. Bottom-post: leave the message you are replying to at the top of the
message, trim it as much as you can, and put your reply underneath or
interleaved. This makes it easier to follow long threads of discussion.

7. Keep the discussion on-list: include the ffmpeg-user list address on
all replies. Your message may help someone in the future who has the
same problem.

So, please rewrite your query with the above improvements, and send it
to the list as a new topic. If you have questions about my advice here,
on using this ffmpeg-user list, then replying to this message is a good
way to ask them.

Best regards,
       —Jim DeLaHunt