[FFmpeg-user] Guide to denoise VHS videos

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at CoSoCo.de
Mon Apr 12 01:39:41 EEST 2021

Am 11.04.21 um 20:46 schrieb Carl Zwanzig:
> I assume you're stuck with the captures you already have, yes? (Most of the issues come from the analog world and ought to be fixed there- a TBC on the playback deck output, capturing YC outputs if available instead of composite, cleaning the playback heads :), etc.)
What is TBC?

> One thing that can help is covering any head-switching noise at the top or bottom of the frame that with a black bar before re-encoding; sure, you'll lose a couple of lines, but they're garbage anyway and can confuse the encoder. Might mask a px or two on the L/R edges of the frame, too.

Thanks for your attempt to give some hints.

My question is not about head-switching effects, it mainly is about temporal noise. E.G., there is the hqdn3d filter, which can do both, spacial and temporal denoise. But I'm missing some guidance about using the parameters and in comparision to other denoise filters.

-Ulf