[FFmpeg-user] Trying to extract video stream but output only has 30 frames

Rob Hallam ffmpeg at roberthallam.com
Sat Apr 10 15:54:45 EEST 2021

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 at 13:43, William Breathitt Gray
<vilhelm.gray at gmail.com> wrote:

> $ ffprobe VID_20210401_150222.mp4 -hide_banner
>     com.android.version: 11

This looks like it's been created on a mobile device. I have had
experience of a phone creating a 'truncated' file which cut off
before the actual due to a corrupt MOOV atom / extraneous 'ftyp'
atoms.

The video file played correctly on the phone and on online viewers (eg
YT) but not with either VLC, ffplay, etc.

I could salvage the file by uploading to eg GDocs / YouTube and
re-downloading. You may also wish to have a look at the fork of
untrunc. Others here can advise if ffmpeg can do something useful
with your video file.

> $ ffmpeg -hide_banner -i VID_20210401_150222.mp4 -c:v copy -an onlyvideo.mp4

Separately, I have seen others advise not to use -hide_banner when
preparing output for questions asked of this list. It is germane to know
what version a querent is using and with which options.

Cheers,
Rob