[FFmpeg-user] Cut part of a video, crop it and blackout parts of it

Cecil Westerhof Cecil at decebal.nl
Mon Apr 5 13:34:21 EEST 2021

Cecil Westerhof via ffmpeg-user <ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> writes:

> Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> writes:
>
>> Carl Eugen Hoyos (12021-04-05):
>>> There is a fundamental misunderstanding:
>>> You decide how much quality you want to preserve, x264 decides how
>>> much bitrate is needed to reach that quality.
>>
>> You also decide how much computing power you want to spend on it, which
>> Cecil neglected to do. More computing power usually means lower bitrate
>> for same quality. The keyword is "preset".
>
> Yes, that was not smart.
>
> The funny thing about that is that years ago I have played with that.
> My very strange finding was that I could best use veryfast. It was
> faster and created smaller files. But that is many years ago, so maybe
> that is not true anymore.

Until two years ago it was still the case:
    https://write.corbpie.com/ffmpeg-preset-comparison-x264-2019-encode-speed-and-file-size/

I ran it with veryfast. It took about half the time and kb/s was 2164
instead of 2444. Better, but still about 40% higher as I would expect.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer