[FFmpeg-user] [FFmpeg-devel] SCTE-35 implementation already (bounty)

Dennis Mungai dmngaie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 17:52:03 EEST 2020

On Wed, 2 Sep 2020 at 07:29, MediaStream <mediastream at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking for SCTE-35 pass through implementation:
>
> 1. Extract SCTE-35 from MPEG-TS.
> 2. Translate timing of the original SCTE-35 events to match timing in the
> output file appropriately or keep timing as is.
> 3. Signal encoder to force key frames at the boundaries of the SCTE-35
> event.
> 4. Inject SCTE-35 messaging into output MP4 files as emsg and into MPD and
> M3U8 manifests if/as needed.
>
> More info:
> https://www.w3.org/TR/media-timed-events/#scte-35
>
> https://www.tvtechnology.com/opinions/scte10435-and-beyond-a-look-at-ad-insertion-in-an-ott-world
>
> source TS file with SCTE-35 also saved as ES and XML:
> https://www.mediafire.com/folder/zv20csqeo1ixt/
>
> Bounty of $2,500.00 USD (up to Oct 2020)

Hello there,

Please contact Devin Heitmueller (copied herein) for more on the same.
There's a branch with the SCTE-35 fix-ups here:
https://github.com/LTNGlobal-opensource/FFmpeg-ltn/commits/ltn_thumbnailer
Though its' based on an FFmpeg code-base from ~2 years ago. To get it to
run, try a minimalist build with the bare essentials enabled, as some
(newer) libraries such as libfdk-aac will give you trouble.

What I can confirm is that indeed, the SCTE-35 payloads can be passed
through and re-timed in mpegts muxer. So task (1) and (2) are *mostly*
complete. Let Devin confirm that for you.
There's also a generic bitstream filter you can use to dump the SCTE-35
messages.
See:
1.
https://github.com/LTNGlobal-opensource/FFmpeg-ltn/commit/f91fa5cc67b43183cf0bd6dab3b468bd2b94056d
2.
https://github.com/LTNGlobal-opensource/FFmpeg-ltn/commit/a04d2bbbc9829a5332472d86d5b86e69d1f7ec5d
3.
https://github.com/LTNGlobal-opensource/FFmpeg-ltn/commit/2f6fea5f86ee816b01e05840999bffc706a9af04

Porting these upstream (to ffmpeg master's git tip) will not be a trivial
task, but its' definitely doable.

Regards,

BR.