[FFmpeg-user] 5% of audio samples missing when capturing audio on a mac

Norbert Pozar bertapozar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 08:02:00 EEST 2020

I have had a chance to test the issue on friends' laptops so here are two
more data points. They have only version 4.3.1 I believe, not the latest
HEAD. Their built-in mic sample rate is 48000Hz (I suppose more recent
laptops updated it?).

1) MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) Processor  2,3 GHz
Intel Core i5
No issues, captured audio sounds fine.

2) MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) Processor 2,4 GHz
Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Missing audio samples as in my case (even more so), and the captured audio
sounds even worse...

So unfortunately it looks like a problem with ffmpeg's avfoundation
implementation at this point...

Norbert