[FFmpeg-user] ffplay with Havision Makito X video encoder, H.264 stream, and "intra refresh" option enabled

Kevin Hise hisekc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 07:49:59 EET 2020

Can I re-ask this question?

The Haivision (sorry...it's misspelled in the subject) Makito-X
encoder has a "intra refresh" setting that isn't supported by FFPLAY.
The Haivision hardware encoder takes SDI input and encodes it into
h.264 which is sent as transport stream over UDP. When you attempt to
display video with FFMPEG or FFPLAY, it eventually starts playing
video...I assume it waits for several minutes before a full key frame
is randomly sent and decoding can begin, but I'm not sure.

I'm wondering if there are any h.264 settings or other debug /
diagnostic info I can look into that might help me understand why. The
Haivision engineers may or may not be aware...since it decodes
correctly on their hardware it may not be their issue.

It was suggested here that I "attach a file" but I'm not sure how that
can be done with FFMPEG since it's unable to decode the video it
doesn't seem to write anything to a file when you try to record the
stream.

Would this question be a better one for the development mailing list, instead?

Thanks for any assistance.

--kev