[FFmpeg-user] Converting text to video for dictation

John B Morris jbmorris289 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 22:41:48 EEST 2020

> So just to be clear, you’re referring to kinetic typography, right?
> For example stuff like Pulp Fiction: Intonation <
> https://youtu.be/h2m_Z8CWdXI>, derivative graphics work by Jarett Moody
> (slightly NSFW, language)
> Apple has also been playing around with the style since 2016, mostly in
> promo campaigns for non-traditional channels. Don’t Blink <
> https://twitter.com/Apple/status/773604633008680964>

(and...)

> This kinda sounds like something you'd with Adobe After Effects.

Oh wow. Well, not that advanced....
... and I use Shotcut <https://shotcut.org/>. Might already be able to do
that kind of typography with it somewhat.

I don't yet understand why you want to create a video with transparent
> background.

Well, my video editor has an option of creating a transparent-colored
element where you put a bunch of visual filters, one of those being text,
and being able to place that text anywhere. For each block of text at a
different time, I'd have to kind of repeat the process which can get pretty
complex for longer videos, and I can't keyframe text content in it. I'm
looking to simplify that with ffmpeg if possible (and not have to
chroma-key the black background if there is one).

I think you want subtitles with heavy custom styling, maybe as opposed to
> captions like you would do in scenarist, try Aegisub <
> http://www.aegisub.org/> with newer ASS versions.

This looks promising actually. Might actually help with most if not
everything I'm looking to do.

Well I actually managed to find a great example... probably should've
provided this initially: https://youtu.be/i3Bno_39qh0
Thank you,

John B (JB).