[FFmpeg-user] slow motion by changing frame rate from 60 to 30

Cristian Secară liste at secarica.ro
Thu Oct 1 17:57:56 EEST 2020

I want to make a short .mp4 clip filmed in 1080p/60 format, then change somehow the playing fame rate to 30Hz so that the playing speed becomes twice slower. Audio is not important (may be dropped completely).

As far as I know (?), a "simple" frame rate change will try to preserve the playing speed, so when changing from 60Hz to 30Hz, it will drop half of the movie.
At the same time, a "simple" slow motion processing will try to keep the original frame rate, so in this case it will interpolate the transitions or something, while keeping the frame rate still at 60Hz.

What options are available for preserving all frames "as is" and just slowing down the playing speed ?

Cristi

--
Cristian Secară
https://www.secarica.ro