[FFmpeg-user] Converting zoom recordings

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Mon May 25 19:30:12 EEST 2020

On 5/25/2020 7:33 AM, Francois Visagie wrote:
> It isn't clear why you're concerned with intermediate files, but Zoom has
> a "compatibility" setting for final output.
When I checked a few days, the only output is still mp4. There is an option
for "Optimize for 3rd party video editor", no idea what it actually does,
might do some tests on that later in the week.

 From zoom help-
Optimize the recording for 3rd party video editor: Generate your cloud
recording video files with a standard format that is compatible with 3rd
party video editors. This may increase file size.

(since you always get an mp4, that doesn't say anything useful)

> In practice I've been able to manipulate such files e.g. with VLC (I haven't tried with ffmpeg yet).

The pre- or post-convert files? The post-convert is a decent MP4.

On 5/25/2020 8:55 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Is the file you uploaded supposed to contain audio?
Yes, both an audio track and actual sound; when zoom converts it to mp4,
that definitely has audio (didn't see a point to uploading the matching
post-convert mp4 but could if there's actual interest).

The last couple of days have been busy, mostly setting up zoom webinars
actually, so I won't get back to the convention process for a few days.

z!