[FFmpeg-user] What is 'yuv420p(tv, smpte170m, progressive)'?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue May 19 17:43:05 EEST 2020

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 09:56:51 -0400, Mark Filipak wrote:
> If ffmpeg uses "smpte170m" with "progressive" to denote hard
> telecine, then I want to detelecine first.

I thought it was understood that "smpte170m" is a notation for a
colorspace or color encoding (in the widest sense), while "progressive"
says something about frame/field order and relation of frames/fields to
each other.

How does "smpte170m" have anything to do with your
deinterlacing/bobbing/frame doubling?

> I value your input, but I need to understand it to make use of it. I
> hope that I've added enough distinction that it now makes sense. And
> I hope you and others will post back.

Not quite. Carl Eugen's friendly Google link could have explained what
SMTPE 170m (even if the first hits reference "analog[ue]"), but you
claimed "I know what SMPTE 170M is". I don't understand how the two
concepts relate, so you would need to elaborate on that.

Moritz