[FFmpeg-user] Sending ffmpeg output to virtual usb uvc device in Linux

Jim Ruxton jim.ruxton at gmail.com
Fri May 15 02:43:00 EEST 2020

I am wondering if there is a way to send ffmpeg output of a stream to a
virtual usb device. I am using a videoloopback device now. I thought I
could use something like this https://github.com/wlhe/uvc-gadget to be
able to convert the dummy video device to make it look like a webcam but
I haven't had any luck. One of the programs I'm using won't work with a
stream and seems to need a usb device though most programs work with the
loopback device as is. The ffmpeg command I am currently using is:

ffmpeg -re -i $(youtube-dl -g -f 95
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Auq9mYxFEE) -vcodec rawvideo -f v4l2
/dev/video2 -f alsa default

Thanks for any tips or thoughts on this.

Jim