[FFmpeg-user] Deinterlacing VHS

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Tue May 12 20:09:10 EEST 2020

On Tue, 12 May 2020, Noeck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have digitized VHS video recordings on my computer. The Video is
> originally recorded in a PAL system (interlaced). I would like to
> improve the video quality with some filters. Cropping and color
> correction is clear.
>
> But deinterlacing is hard, as the lines of the half-images are not
> exactly one pixel apart because the resolution is not identical with the
> analogue resolution on tape. The framerate should be like on tape. yadif
> does improve things a bit.
>
> Is this just an ill-posed problem or are there special settings to
> achieve a good deinterlacing in this case?

If your source VHS is OK, and VHS is smooth on TV then you probably made a
mistake during digitalizing your content and some unintended conversion or
scaling happended there. You should re-digialize your content keeping the
original PAL resolution, and encoding using lossless or interlaced
encoder. Otherwise it is doubtful that you can really improve it later.

Regards,
Marton