[FFmpeg-user] Problem with recorded YouTube stream

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Sat May 2 18:54:35 EEST 2020

On 5/1/2020 3:18 PM, H wrote:
> So you are saying that despite knowing the settings youtube-dl used when
> recording the file, it is not possible to use that knowledge when using
> ffmpeg to play the file back (barring damage while recording the file
> which I have no evidence for)?
You may know certain settings when the file was created but you don't know
things like the specifics of the streams in the container (such as "where
does it start in the file?"); the moov atom is effectively the Table of
Contents for an MP4 container.

Oh, and you have plenty of evidence of file damage- it's in the error
messages you posted; if it wasn't damaged, it should easily play with all
the tools mentioned.

Search for "moov atom not found"- you'll find a lot of discussion on the
matter. One _possible_ solution is something called "untrunc", which I have
not tried. If the moov atom just isn't there, I don't think ffmpeg will help
you.

z!