[FFmpeg-user] FFMpeg and H.323

Simon Brown simon.k.brown at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 17:19:59 EET 2020

> Hi,
>
> > Is it possible for ffmpeg to produce a stream conforming to H.323?  As I
> > understand it H.323 supports H.264 video and G.711 or OPUS audio.  I have
> > an H.264 video stream, so would need to re-encode the audio, but then it
> > needs packaging as H.323 and I haven't found anything on the web that
> does
> > this yet.
>
> I’m not surprised, H.323 covers infrastructure at a scope that is on a
> different level than ffmpeg, or any other single application for that
> matter.
>
> Since it’s not a single standard I don’t really know what to say it
> supports, but it stipulates all endpoint (terminal) equipment be capable of
> both G.711 as a minimum, and H.261 if it has video capability. Any
> additional codec support is H.245 negotiated by connecting equipment. H.264
> is commonly implemented, as well as speex (which I think you mean when you
> say opus) but neither capability is required.
>
> Can you tell us more about the situation where you need to encode AV
> streams usable in a H.323 system out of band? There isn’t really a
> “packaging” step to speak of, and If you are creating a software based
> implementation the most ffmpeg is going to be of help to you is RTP. H.323
> is more of a protocol than format.
>
> Speaking generally, I guess you could say ffmpeg can produce a stream that
> conforms to H.323, (by encoding mu-law/a-law and optionally H.261 and using
> RTP) but anything else is going to depend on (all) the equipment
> facilitating session communication.
>
> Regards,
> Ted Park
>

> Hi Ted,
Many thanks for your quick reply.
I thought H.323 was a packaging a bit like HLS might be, or Fragmented
MP4.  The hope is to be able to integrate a camera system generating H.264
into Zoom and other web-conferencing systems which require H.323 to work.

So what you're saying is I'd need to generate my own communications handler
that manages the H.323 traffic, and passing the H.264 stream to that
handler to pass on to the endpoint?

Cheers,
Simon