[FFmpeg-user] How to compress .MOV file compatible to Canon camera

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
Mon Mar 16 02:43:14 EET 2020

Am 14.03.20 um 21:08 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:

>>> It is no more playable on the camera.
>>> It's about 100 kB smaller then the original with 84 MB.
>> Maybe you should consider the possibility that it isn’t a technical limitation of the decoder capability but something else introduced by proprietary metadata or implementation detail.
>>
>> There’s a huge user data box in the moov, upon a quick glance it has the camera model, firmware version, etc. I have to imagine it is used somehow.
> Same question:
> Is the (original) file still playable if you edit this atom?

I now inserted the following:
1. "CEAP" to ftyp (0x18 instead 0x14 bytes)
2. moov atom with qt-fast
2. udta atom from original at the start of moov atom (increases it from 0x1340E to 0x1344A)
Result:
Instead of a big "?" I now see a the preview picture on the camera. Unfortunately I still can't play the video because of "Not identified Picture".
So we are a little step closer to the solution.
Any additional ideas?
Yes, it would be a great help of a good tool to show and edit other atoms.
Which tool could be this?
Which ffmpeg loglevel command would show the atoms, even with less nice format?

-Ulf