[FFmpeg-user] CPU and GPU

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 04:47:55 EET 2020

I'm not sure I'm hijacking this thread. The subject is actually quite
related.

Welcome to The Matrix. I had no idea.

So codec engineering companies like NGCodec, MainConcept, Beamr and
MulticoreWare turn open source-based, ffmpeg workflows into FPGAs that,
when mature firmware implementations, chip companies like Intel & NVIDIA
turn into real hardware: masked GPUs. Do I have that right?

Now I see why so many ffmpeg-user submissions are streaming oriented.

All this to reproduce 20th century broadcast media, but with a
difference: Tracking & real-time telemetry.

Hmmm... Maybe robots making money obsolete won't be a bad thing after
all. What a rabbit hole.

Twenty years ago, I considered starting an FPGA-based, firmware design
business but I couldn't see a specific application aside from contract
work, so I retired instead. Oh, well.

I again apologize for asking so many seemingly trivial questions.
Obviously, I'm just a tourist here.

Regards,
Mark.

Phil Rhodes: If you're reading this, open your eyes. It's all about
money. Improved tourist-class, user documentation doesn't make money.