[FFmpeg-user] Problem with converting to AVI (XVID-AC3) for Home Theatre

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 13:01:04 EEST 2020

Am So., 28. Juni 2020 um 09:00 Uhr schrieb Nithin C Babu
<nithincbabu7 at gmail.com>:

> I am using FFmpeg to convert a video file that has 5.1 surround sound for
> playing it in a home theatre system. I used the following command.
>
> ffmpeg -i "input1.mp4" -vf scale=720:-16 -c:v mpeg4 -vtag XVID -b:v 3000k
> -c:a ac3 -b:a 448k "OUTPUT_FILE.avi"

Complete, uncut console output missing.

> I am able to play the video file on my computer. But, it has problems in
> the home theatre system.

> The home theatre system is able to play the video,
> but it is showing that the audio is not supported.

Which system is this?
Did you test with WMP and consider to report it to
whoever provides your home theatre system?

We have in the past refused to add a work-around for
such players (which would mean to produce invalid
files).