[FFmpeg-user] Capture multiple streams into same container?

Simon Roberts simon at dancingcloudservices.com
Thu Jun 25 02:05:27 EEST 2020

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 4:26 PM Tom Sparks <tomasparks.ts at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25/06/2020, Simon Roberts <simon at dancingcloudservices.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 3:41 AM Tom Sparks <tomasparks.ts at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> mkv is a better output format to use
> >>

> > Thanks for this Tom, can you expand on what the benefits are? I think I
> > ended up with mov as it seemed to be the "natural" choice for apple
> prores
> > content, but there was no thought went into it, just "what somebody
> said" :)
> >
> mkv support every know format*

Oh, that's good to know, thank you.
[...]

this link talk more about using proress with ffmpeg:
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/VFX

This looks very interesting too; my project definitely involves balancing
CPU usage in compression with resulting data size, with the absolute
requirement that the compression be 100% guaranteed to be real time. With
modest hardware and three full-HD channels plus a 720p channel, it's a fine
line and no doubt a better understanding of the prores encoder and its
options will be very valuable.

> you can disregard everything else I said if you want to

I think I would disregard educated comments at my peril!

thanks again :)