[FFmpeg-user] To Speed Up thumbnail creation - picture & video

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Tue Jun 23 21:11:07 EEST 2020

On 6/21/2020 10:23 PM, Arunava Banerjee via ffmpeg-user wrote:

> ffmpeg version 2.8.15-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 Copyright (c) 2000-2018
That version is positively ancient in software terms. First thing is to get
a current version (the -git head version is recommended, but at least a
4.2.3 build), start from https://ffmpeg.org/download.html.

> The videos exists on AWS S3, and we are fetching them using S3 signature
> url, generating the thumbs and uploading back.
>
> We have noticed that FFMPEG takes quite sometime to create the thumbnails,
> which is creating a wait time on the part of the interface.

How much of that time is moving the data around and how much in ffmpeg? It
may be that your data pipe is slow or that it's being throttled somewhere.
(How long does it take to generate thumbs/etc from/to local storage?) A
second possibility is that your local system is underpowered for the task.
Look to those before suspecting that ffmpeg is slow.

Also, it might be cheaper, let alone faster, to use an amazon EC host to run
ffmpeg and save on the bandwidth costs of down/up-loading the data. You'll
have to run the numbers yourself to figure this out.

Later,

z!