[FFmpeg-user] MPEG2 Profile Options Integer order wrong

Bill Crockett wsc4 at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jun 19 10:43:21 EEST 2020

On Wed Jun 17 15:28:43 EEST 2020 Moritz Barsnick wrote:

> Hi Bill,

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 12:28:39 +1000, Bill Crockett wrote:
>> Before you told me this, I did try the words "high" or "main", but I put
>> in
>> quotes either single or double and got errors.

> It would be extremely helpful if you showed us the *actual* command
> line used, and the (complete, uncut) console output, which is helpful
> to debug any kind of issues. We can usually point out your issue from
> this info. "Got errors" is very terse.

> Cheers,
> Moritz

Hi Moritz,

Sorry it sounded terse.  There was no need for me to add the command line or
console output.  I took the documentation here literally:

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#Options-33

profile integer

    Select the mpeg2 profile to encode:

    ‘422’
    ‘main’
    ‘ss’

        Spatially Scalable
    ‘snr’

        SNR Scalable
    ‘high’
    ‘simple’

The Profile options have quotes around them.  Probably to high-light them in
the document.  As Limin stated, you don't put in quotes.  It was also
confusing because it asks for an integer, but should be string.

Thanks,
Bill