[FFmpeg-user] Add delay to stream on twitch/youtube/restream.io, add chat and alerts

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Mon Jun 15 19:26:32 EEST 2020

(please do not top-post on this list)

On 6/15/2020 3:48 AM, Tom Sparks wrote:
> Have you looked at OBS[1]?
OBS filters can only add a short delay.

Add delay- how long? (delay is memory- or disk-intensive*)  OBS can insert a
short delay, but longer ones usually mean writing data into a file and
playing it back later (which could be only 5 seconds). There are many
"gotchas" around that with file format and record/play timing. Please start
a separate email thread for that.

*(back-of-the-envelope calculation) if you assume uncompressed 8-bit RGB HD,
that's over 6MB/frame, a 30 second buffer at 30fps will need to be something
like 6GB (spinning disks aren't fast enough for this, needs to be SSD or
in-memory)

Add "chat"- that's not a function of the stream.

Add "alerts"- what does that mean in this case?

z!