[FFmpeg-user] write output of find_rect to a file?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Jul 12 15:21:18 EEST 2020

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 14:52:43 -0700, Hans Carlson wrote:
> > The above command works fine, but is it possible to print the number of
> > the frame instead of the timestamp?
> I might be wrong, but I believe you need to infer the frame number based
> on where it appears in the output.  Given your example, with "frame"
> section and "csv" output, the 1st line is the 1st frame, the 2nd line is
> the 2nd frame, etc.

I agree with this. ffprobe doesn't do the counting for you. (I'm not
saying I believe or don't believe it could or should.)

> > I did search the documentation for a list of variables, but didn't find
> > any. Also "pkt_pts_time" seems to be undocumented.
>
> I've never found any documentation for this either.  The closest is the
> output of "ffprobe -sections", but that only lists the possible
> "sections", not the "entries" within each section.

The XML output format has a proper XML schema file ffprobe.xsd, which
describes the fields and the hierarchy. It's installed under
$prefix/share/ffmpeg/ffprobe.xsd, and in the ffmpeg source tree, it's
under doc/ffprobe.xsd. The JSON output should align with that (but
formatted as JSON), I don't know about the CSV output.

Regarding what pkt_pts_time represents or how it is calculated, you
would have to look it up in the source, if it isn't documented
anywhere. (Help in improving the documentation is always welcome,
either as a patch, or as a modification of the wiki.)

Cheers,
Moritz