[FFmpeg-user] Since MacOS / Catalina upgrade - "Unable to find a suitable output format for 'h264_videotoolbox'"

MediaMouth communque at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 21:13:03 EET 2020

> On Jan 29, 2020, at 6:03 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ffmpeg version 4.2.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2019 the FFmpeg developers
>
> For future questions, please remember that only current FFmpeg is
> supported here (this is >6 months old).

> On Jan 30, 2020, at 9:04 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> https://ffmpeg.org/download.html <https://ffmpeg.org/download.html> contains links to static builds.

> On Jan 30, 2020, at 9:36 AM, Reto Kromer <lists at reto.ch> wrote:
>
> Am Do., 30. Jan. 2020 um 05:18 Uhr schrieb MediaMouth <communque at gmail.com>:
>
>> Is the latest version accessible through 'brew upgrade"?
>
> Yes, for both last release and head. Best regards, Reto

Ok, so here's what I'm working through
- The ffmpeg version I currently have, through Brew is 4.2.2
- The stdout I posted suggests I ran 4.2.2
- The version Carl suggests downloading from https://ffmpeg.org/download.html suggests 4.2.2 is the latest version
- But Carl also says the version I"m using is ">6 months old"

So what's the tell-tale sign of a >6month old version?
How to update via Brew assuming I actually need to update and to what?
Or Is there some kind of misunderstanding?