[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe bug in 'interlaced_frame'?

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 01:59:30 EET 2020

On 01/27/2020 05:59 PM, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2020, 11:07 PM Mark Filipak <
> markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, whenever I transcode from h262 source to h265 target I invariably
>> get a reduction of almost 50%. So, why not go with h265? What modern
>> player doesn't support h265?
>>

> Be very careful with this assumption.  Almost none of the software players
> properly support playback of interlaced HEVC content, especially once you
> get into the less common field modes like field repeating.
>
> Devin

Thanks, Devin, I have no plans to produce any interlaced MKVs. They will
all be progressive.

May I expound a little on what I'm up to?

As I stated earlier, I use HandBrake to do transcoding. As part of my
own investigation/reverse engineering, I'm writing "Mark's BD & DVD
Presets Cookbook" and plan to make it available to other HandBrake users,

Rather than by trial-&-error, I contend that source videos can be
characterized in advance, thereby to optimize HandBrake presets. To that
end, I'm using ffprobe to gather info.

So far, I've identified 7 types of source videos.
- BD cinema & some BD extras (but not DVDs).
- "PAL" DVD cinema & extras.
- Vintage "PAL" DVD cinema & extras (4% speed up).
- Vintage PAL TV shows.
- "NTSC" DVD cinema, some BD & DVD extras (soft-telecined).
- Vintage "NTSC" DVD cinema, some BD & DVD extras (hard-telecined).
- Vintage NTSC TV shows.

In addition, there's 3 screen types:
- 24 Hz TV.
- 50 Hz TV.
- 60 Hz TV.

I'm currently perfecting detection methods for each source type, plus
the HandBrake presets that make the most faithful transcodes for each
screen type.