[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe bug in 'interlaced_frame'?

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 03:20:59 EET 2020

On 01/26/2020 08:08 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am So., 26. Jan. 2020 um 22:21 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:
>
>>> (hard-telecine encoding and decoding is - of course - supported
>>> by FFmpeg)
>>
>> No, it's not. ffmpeg makes only frame pictures, not field pictures. Hard
>> telecine is an interlaced format and ffmpeg doesn't make interlaced output.
>
> Note that at least the reasoning is wrong here:
> MEncoder is able to produce both hard- and soft-telecined vob
> files (and progressive and interlaced) with FFmpeg's mpeg2video encoder.
>
> Carl Eugen

Well, that's interesting, Carl. In the past I've longed for a method to
encode TV segments as 30i and the embedded movie clips as 24i in the
same transcode (as an alternative to transcoding both to 60p via line
doubling and thereby suffering 70% larger output files). Such is needed
for "Making of" documentaries in DVD Extra Features. HandBrake doesn't
support any output (target) except progressive, but you say MEncoder
does, eh?

Can X264 or X265 encode to 30i (or to 24p with 30i soft telecine metadata)?