[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe bug in 'interlaced_frame'?

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 03:04:59 EET 2020

Am Mo., 27. Jan. 2020 um 01:37 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
<markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:

> On 01/26/2020 07:32 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Am Mo., 27. Jan. 2020 um 01:27 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> > <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:

> >> I have no idea, Carl. I've never used ffmpeg.
> >
> > Then why don't you believe that the issue you see is that
> > FFmpeg does not "support" soft-telecine when reading
> > program streams?
>
> Because out of hundreds of region-1 DVDs, I've found only 2 that don't
> use soft telecine, at least for the main feature. If ffmpeg didn't
> support soft-telecined VOBs as input, then it could not be used to
> decode so-called "NTSC" DVDs,

You misunderstand:
I didn't claim that FFmpeg cannot "read" the decrypted vob files
in soft-telecined dvds, I claimed that the soft-telecine feature in
such vob files is not "supported" (but ignored) because it is
only needed if your display hardware needs it and such
display hardware cannot be used with FFmpeg (or any modern
video player).

It is of course possible that I am wrong, that the flags are not
ignored but incorrectly processed but since they aren't needed
nobody complained so far...

Note that other free vob demuxers and other free mpegvideo
decoders exist.