[FFmpeg-user] Avoid "not enough frames to estimate rate" message when with concat

Jerome Martinez jerome at mediaarea.net
Thu Jan 16 16:38:44 EET 2020

Hello,

I try to suppress or at least to have the following message once:
[dpx_pipe @ 0000025ad0cc37c0] Stream #0: not enough frames to estimate
rate; consider increasing probesize

when I use a concat file (I don't have the message if I use DPX
directly, with e.g. "-i %06d.dpx", but I can't use this template in my
use case, file names are relatively random).

I tried the following options:
-probesize 2000M
-analyzeduration 2000M -probesize 2000M
Without success.

In libavformat/utils.c I see:
if (read_size >= probesize)
and
strcmp(ic->iformat->name, "image2"))
before the log message, looks like I don't succeed to provide the
probesize to "image2".

I have a file test.txt containing:
file test.dpx
duration 0.04
file test.dpx
duration 0.04

then with FFmpeg Git master:
ffmpeg -f lavfi -i testsrc=size=1920x1080 -frames:v 1 test.dpx
ffmpeg  -f concat -i test.txt test.mkv

If I repeat the test.txt file content several times (in practice, I have
thousands of different files listed in the concat file), I have the
warning message several times, which pollutes the logs:
[dpx_pipe @ 000002041aae3a00] Stream #0: not enough frames to estimate
rate; consider increasing probesize
     Last message repeated 2 times
[dpx_pipe @ 000002041c529400] Stream #0: not enough frames to estimate
rate; consider increasing probesize
     Last message repeated 3 times

If I replace 1920x1080 with 1280x720, I don't have this warning.

I use concat as this is the only method I found for providing a list of
random file names when I can not use templates like "-i %06d.dpx", but
if there is another method I am interested in knowing it.

Jérôme