[FFmpeg-user] Development & Support

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 03:00:11 EET 2020

On 02/28/2020 07:10 PM, Lou Logan wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 9:52 AM, Mark Filipak wrote:
>>
>> Is there some way I can fund development? Is there some way I can fund
>> support? Perhaps as a subscription? (And, Yes, I'm aware of the "Donate"
>> options.)
>
> PayPal is listed on the Donate page and allows you to make a monthly
> donation, but we don't have a Patreon type of subscription model.

Hi Lou,

I joined PayPal and had bad experiences regarding shocking charges to
recipients, so I don't use PayPal.

To my knowledge, Patreon contributions are anonymous. Patreon's web page
solely contains pitches to content creators with no details for
contributors and no FAQ.

I would think that Liberapay would be ideal for ffmpeg. I've sent an
email to Liberpay requesting their contributor-disclosure policies.

I want acknowledgement. I don't want anonymity.

> One method to fund development is to sponsor development in areas of
> your interest, or put a bounty for a particular bug fix or feature request.

My area of interest is documentation. Currently, ffmpeg is documented by
the developers and, no offense intended, their documentation is poor.
Why wouldn't it be poor? Developers are not professional writers and
their perspective is not the users' perspective.

> -snip-
>
> It's fairly informal since there is no standard or official process to do this.

The ffmpeg crew needs to think about it. It's important.