[FFmpeg-user] concat protocol - 3 objectives

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Tue Feb 25 06:59:53 EET 2020

On 2/24/2020 4:29 PM, Mark Filipak wrote:
> Regarding Objective 3: Though a subtitle stream is not reported, the 5
> concatenated sources do have subtitles. However, I think I have to get a
> matroska container working before attempting to include the subtitles, so
> this objective will have to wait.

Just confirming-

You're aware that dvd subtitles are actually overlay images, not encoded text?

Also, consider adding a long -analyzeduration and -probesize, unless the
subtitle stream start quickly, the default values won't find it/them. (I've
had movies where the subs started at least 60-80 seconds into the content.)
I'd start with at least 500M, and if that doesn't immediately turn up the
subs stream, double until it does.

I'm curious about this-
[mpeg @ 0000023c731a9000] New subtitle stream 0:6 at pos:116221966 and
DTS:120.328speed=12.9x
frame=159684 fps=2310 q=-1.0 Lsize= 4048589kB time=01:43:54.17

   that says the subtitles didn't start very well into the content, probably
into file 3 or 4 (?). Is it possible that not all streams were copied when
the vob files were collected?

FWIW, I've had very good luck ripping dvds with "dvddecrypter"; it's still
available on the 'net and will output a single file with all streams if
that's what you want.

Later,

z!