[FFmpeg-user] silenceremove use

To ny tonynederpel at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 21 22:59:32 EET 2020

Made a wave file of the first (softest) thump with the -accurate_seek, -t and -ss
and one of the "relative" silence parts and as Ted suggested checked with showvolume:

ffplay -f lavfi -i “amovie=sample.wav,showvolume"
This way it's especially insightful to see the volume level of very short sounds.

thump -37.8dB  silence -48dB

Used this one in ffmpeg now:
silenceremove=start_periods=1:start_duration=0:start_threshold=-37dB:detection=peak:window=0

the step from -38dB to -37dB already nibbles off the leading silence and 36ms of the first thump.
Going up to a certain threshold removs the first thump but silences of seconds are still left in.

As it seems with the silenceremove i can't differentiate between the relative silence and the louder
thump.

I discovered the "truncate silence" in audacity now. It gets it done and you can just type in
how long you want to leave silence in between sounds and leaves everything above threshold
alone.

Thanks anyway to Ted and Paul.