[FFmpeg-user] Seeking VOB metadata

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 13:52:35 EET 2020

On 02/06/2020 05:39 AM, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 20:37:27 -0500, Mark Filipak wrote:
>>> $ ffmpeg -i input -vf filter1,metadata=mode=print -f null -
>>
>> I assume that the words in your suggested command line are all
>> replaceable tokens because in the filters documentation
>
> No, not really. The "metadata=mode=print" was meant literally, as it
> was the filter I mentioned above.
>
>> "filter1" not found.
>> ".metadata" not found.
>> "mode" not found.
>> "print" not found.
>
> "filter1" on the other hand was an example for a preceding filter in
> the filter chain, which creates metadata to be processed or displayed.
>
>  From your final remarks in your previous thread, I thought you had
> wanted to access the metadata created by the idet filter.

I'm not trying to create metadata. I'm trying to read the metadata in
the VOB's pack header (SCR), and in the MPEG2 sequence header
(progressive_sequence) and picture coding extension (picture_structure &
top_field_first & repeat_first_field & progressive_frame).

>> (https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-bitstream-filters.html)...
>
> Bitstream filters are not filters, in your sense. Sorry for the
> confusion.

That was my fault. Sorry. I got lost in the documentation.

> Check the regular filters' documentation:
>
> https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#metadata_002c-ametadata

Yeah, I saw that. None of it looks like H.262 specification metadata.

What am I not understanding about ffmpeg?