[FFmpeg-user] Screenrecording bound to a certain window & desktop ?

Leo Butler leo.butler81 at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 29 15:35:25 EET 2020

tuxic at posteo.de writes:

> Hi,
>
> (I am using GENTOO Linux and X11/openbox and a NVidia GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
> graphics card.)
>
> I want to use ffmpeg for screenrecording (beside other tings of
> course...)
>

> Currently I need to stay on the certain desktop, which I currentlu
> recording.
>
> Is it possible somehow, to "lock" ffmpeg to a certain desktop and a
> certain window while recording in a way, that I am allowed to work
> on another window and another application's window while recording
> whithout corrupting the result of that recording?
> And if yes: How can I accieve this?

I use x11grab for this

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#x11grab

I don't think that you can select a specific window or desktop, but you
can select a region. I use a dual-monitor setup and record from the one
monitor and use the other for off-screen work.

I have also used a single monitor, with a split screen, to do the same
thing.

If you really need to work on a separate (virtual) desktop, then I guess
you could simulate this by running two separate X11 displays and
recording one of them.

Leo