[FFmpeg-user] How to properly escape a literal comma ", " in drawtext filter text?

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Mon Dec 28 23:02:20 EET 2020

On 12/27/2020 11:01 AM, Steven Kan wrote:
> If I use that exact string, the comma renders as a white box. According
> to the drawtext documentation, I should escape the comma, but depending
> on the context I may have to escape the escape character before the
> comma, etc.

I'm not on a mac, but it could be the shell mutating the comma or it could
be the drawtext filter, don't know. You might try assembling the filter
string into a shell variable and dropping that into the command line. Also,
try echo-ing the command like into a file to see if the commas are correct.

You might also try the 'textfile' option instead of 'text' to avoid any
munging the shell might do.

(And please do not top-post on this mailing list.)

Later,

z!