[FFmpeg-user] Uninstalling ffmpeg

Glenn S. Odagawa FlipFlops2001 at zoho.com
Wed Dec 2 21:57:05 EET 2020

On 12/2/2020 1:49 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 6:33 AM Andy Sheimo <asheimo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Actually having a static binary is not a no brainer. I know that I use a
>> static binary and I can make said static binary jump through hoops, but I
>> can't tell you why I use a static binary or the difference between that and
>> a shared binary. Someday I should probably learn but as of today I don't
>> know. if that makes me "a little child" with "a slow brain" then said
>> person is brilliant.
> Advantages of static linking:
> 1) Self-contained - convenient
> 2) Locks in its dependencies - consistent
>
> Advantages of dynamic linking:
> 1) Deduplication. Many executables can link to the same library and
> they'll use the same one - on disk, in memory, etc. Reduces load times
> for commonly-used libraries. Can be taken even further by putting the
> libraries on fast storage, and then even an executable on slow storage
> will be able to load the library at high speed.
> 2) Dependencies can be updated independently, allowing bug fixes and
> security patches.
>
> It's most definitely not a no-brainer, and there are good reasons to
> use both (even within the same binary - statically link some libraries
> and dynamically link others).
>
> ChrisA
Yandex Signature Greetings 'ALOHA' image
You're right. The current version I've been using requires
[vulkan-1.dll], but even if you do not have the file, it can be
downloaded and installed in the FFMpeg directory and upon uninstall, can
be deleted with the FFMpeg files. P.S. I am using the shared version
from BtbN: https://github.com/BNtbN/FFmpeg-Builds/releases
<https://github.com/BNtbN/FFmpeg-Builds/releases> (requires vulkan-1.dll).

*Glenn S. Odagawa* & Quilo
Chicago, IL
+1 (630) 670-9080
FlipFlops2001 at yandex.com <mailto:flipflops2001 at yandex.com>-Main
Correspondence
TheLayeredMix at gmx.com <mailto:thelayeredmix at gmx.com>-Alternate
www.TheLayeredMix.co.nf <http://www.thelayeredmix.co.nf/>-Website hosted
on Norfolk Island
Quilo avatar <http://www.thelayeredmix.co.nf/> Bug avatar
<http://www.thelayeredmix.co.nf/> Flipflops avatar
<http://www.thelayeredmix.co.nf/>
*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*: This message, including any attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
copies of the original message.